Thursday, January 24, 2008

Settling in

The last few days have been spent just settling into my new home. The constant din of noise has been a tough one for me to get used to. Even with double window panes and earplugs, I am having a tough time getting a good night's sleep. This is a city that never quiets down. Dogs bark, cats meow, people laugh, doorbells ring and scooters rev around until all hours of the night. It is a far cry from Carlisle and our peaceful farm. It makes me laugh now to think that I have complained about the distant roar of 81! The picture to the right is a building called 101. It is currently the tallest building in the world at 1670 feet high! The top is lost in the clouds. 

Taiwan is getting ready for the Chinese New Year, and since my apartment is on the street of costumes, I have been getting a first-hand glimpse of the preparations. Firecrackers seems to be a huge symbol and you can see them everywhere, some as high as ten feet! Displays of red things are everywhere with many special decorations and symbols of the holiday. Check oout this sight for more info on Taipei and the Chinese New Year Celebration. http://www.thingsasian.com/stories-photos/2285


A few days ago, while roaming around my neighborhood, I cam across an artist doing incredible silhouettes. Check out his work above.


And how is this for a new kind of hot dog?

2 comments:

Demi Hauseman said...

Hi Jan and Rachel and Anthony, I hope you are enjoying each others company.I think you must be out having fun because you haven't blogged or emailed for a few days. Love, Demi

Unknown said...

whoa those hot dogs look freaky!